We are in search of a new Manager of Communications to join the Strategic Communications team of Catholic Extension. The Manager of Communications will create content across multiple platforms to advance our mission.
This is a newly created position designed to attract a mid-level communications professional looking for their next challenge and eager for an opportunity to join a highly successful organization that is growing and evolving in new and exciting ways.
The successful candidate will report directly to the Vice President for Communications and External Relations and be part of an organization that attracts high performing, collaborative individuals working in an entrepreneurial environment.
About Catholic Extension
Founded in 1905, Catholic Extension is one of the leading faith-based nonprofits in the United States. Catholic Extension works in solidarity with people in America’s poorest regions to build up vibrant and transformative Catholic faith communities. With the generosity of individual donors and local and national foundations, Catholic Extension raises funds to help these poor, forgotten, and often isolated communities to flourish.
- Catholic Extension invests in buildings by supporting the construction and renovation of churches and church facilities.
- Catholic Extension invests in leaders for the Church by providing education and training for Church leaders.
- Catholic Extension invests in ministries by supporting outreach to the poor and marginalized throughout the country.
Since 1905, Catholic Extension has distributed more than $1.3 billion in today’s dollars to build strong communities of faith, so that Catholic communities in these areas have the tools to inspire hope and ignite change. Activities and programs supported include: southern border initiatives, post-hurricane rebuilding in Puerto Rico, support for college campus ministry and youth outreach, funding migrant farmworker ministry, and supporting the pastoral efforts of religious sisters.
Catholic Extension has a full-time staff of 45 employees based at its headquarters in Chicago or in one of its regional offices located in: Boston; Dallas; Monterey; Naples, FL; Nashville; New York City; Richmond, VA; St. Louis, and San Diego. Its staff is comprised of talented and experienced professionals working in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment and team-focused culture.
About the Role
As a member of a small, but instrumental team, the Manager of Communications crafts language and tells stories that inspire donor giving. You will handle a wide variety of assignments that support and amplify the work of development and mission departments. From time to time, you pivot and enthusiastically pursue an opportunity because it’s important to advancing our mission!
The duties of the Manager of Communications include:
- Research, write, and edit content for use across multiple platforms including printed publications, website and social media outlets.
- Drive exceptional content solutions that align with our mission and the needs of our internal customers, especially the mission and development departments.
- Collaborate with colleagues and cross-departmentally to create content that builds visibility and supports fundraising.
- Identify opportunities for alignment between programs and ongoing integrated marketing and communications campaigns.
- Leverage and repurpose content and existing high-performance assets to increase reach and visibility to targeted audiences across multi-channel communications.
- Ensure created content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice. Be a steward of best practices in messaging, grammar, writing, and style.
- Proactively develop standards, processes, and best practices for innovative content creation, distribution, and repurposing.
- Research and author content projects made for innovative formats (that go beyond a blog post), utilizing traditional, contemporary, and emerging channels to increase brand awareness and gain donors.
- Help define and regularly report on key metrics for content marketing success, from organic rankings to views, conversions.
- Ensure our mission narrative is strategically infused for optimal engagement in every communication.
- Assemble a dynamic portfolio of relevant content that follows channel best practices and contribute to and manage a robust content and editorial calendar.
- Promote content: you’ll develop plans for content distribution via social media, email, public relations, paid media and other channels.
- Be a role model for integrity, fiscal responsibility and ethical behavior in a way that embodies the values of Catholic Extension.
Catholic Extension seeks a professional with a bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, English or related field and three to five years’ post-college experience. While having worked in a nonprofit will be considered a plus, it is not required. Professional and personal attributes of sought-after candidates include:
- Superb writer who takes pride in their work, is flexible and welcomes input from others
- Background in developing and implementing multi-channel communication strategies and tactical plans that span both traditional and digital media
- Experience with print production process
- Experience with broadcast email strategies and mailing list management
- Ability to think out-of-the-box to approach projects on time and within budget
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills with the ability to counsel and drive alignment in a complex environment
- Self-starter, able to run with projects
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Curious and eager to learn
- Flexible, adaptable and open to change
- Strong work ethic and enthusiasm to convey Catholic Extension’s mission
- Strong organization skills with the ability to timely manage multiple projects
- Energized by a fast-paced, growth-focused organization
- Experience with WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite and other communications software
- Appreciation for and general understanding of the teachings and traditions of the Roman Catholic Church
To participate in our confidential search process, please send your application (to include a cover letter, resume and writing sample) directly for consideration to our recruiting partner Margie DeVine at CEjobs.firstname.lastname@example.org. Further inquiries or questions? Text Margie: 773-892-2993.
Catholic Extension is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants may request any reasonable accommodation that may be necessary to participate in the application process. We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package to include medical, dental, vision, disability, 403b with company matching, paid time off, paid company holidays, commuter assistance, professional development opportunities, mentoring and more!
Catholic Extension is located at 150 S. Wacker Drive, 20th floor, Chicago, IL. For more information about the organization, please visit: www.catholicextension.org.