Founded in 1905, Catholic Extension serves the pastoral mission of the Church by ensuring that the essential ministries of under-resourced and isolated U.S. dioceses remain intact by helping these dioceses build their capacity for the future. This is achieved by operating as both a fundraising and grant making organization that carries its work out strategically, with a high touch, and in a spirit of optimism and innovation. For more information about Catholic Extension, visit the CE Website.
Over the last 116 years, Catholic Extension has distributed more than $1.3 billion to build strong communities of faith, so that Catholics in these areas have the tools to inspire hope and ignite change. Activities and programs supported include southern border initiatives, post-hurricane rebuilding in Puerto Rico, support for college campus ministry and youth outreach, construction and renovation of churches and facilities, and funding for the education of lay and ordained leaders. Last year alone, the financial impact on these communities was more than $90 million when one considers all Catholic Extension’s programs and partnerships collectively.
To support this mission work, every year the organization raises $25 – 30 million from 25,000 donors via a mature and comprehensive development program with diverse revenue streams. To learn more about the role of philanthropy at Catholic Extension read its 2021 Annual Report.
Catholic Extension has a full-time staff of 50 employees based at its headquarters in Chicago or in one of its regional offices. Its staff is comprised of talented and experienced professionals working in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment and team-focused culture.
Development Manager, Parish Partnerships
The Parish Partnership Program engages parishes across the country to become involved in Catholic Extension’s mission work. Since the program’s launch in 2018, approximately 500 willing parishes have joined, raising millions in philanthropic revenue annually. The program’s early success and aggressive growth trajectory signal its huge potential over time.
Although the program is national in scope, we are seeing a buildup of cells of like-minded pastors in key cities – Chicago, Atlanta, Brooklyn, San Diego, Seattle, Milwaukee, among others. This is providing the program with the extra benefit of building community within the Church.
Funders have taken notice and are genuinely excited about the program. Recently a well-respected national funder came forward with a $500,000 grant to support the program’s expansion. Catholic Extension is also investing in the program.
One way that Catholic Extension is investing is by adding staff. The new position of Development Manager, Parish Partnerships will add capacity to our efforts to build relationships with existing partners and forge new ties with prospective ones. The manager will report to the Director of Development, Parish Partnerships, who has been with the program since its inception.
The manager’s role will be to interface with parishes to support group giving projects at a major gifts level ($10,000+) benefiting a Catholic Extension project. As no two parishes are the same, Catholic Extension customizes each partnership, which makes the work relational rather than transactional, and provides for a lot of variety in the workday. Catholic Extension aims to create meaningful giving experiences for parishes in the program and to foster deep and long term relationships, and the manager will play an important role in carrying out this work.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Carry a portfolio of 50 parishes to start. This number will grow over time.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward parishes with the capacity to support Catholic Extension. This work includes interacting with pastors, Church staff, and lay volunteer leaders.
- Prepare proposal materials and solicit gifts. Staff the director and members of Catholic Extension’s Senior Leadership in their Parish Partnership activities.
- Serve as the primary point person for your portfolio. Develop and present collateral materials to ensure that parishes have the tools they need to successfully raise funds. Encourage year-round parish fundraising.
- In collaboration with the Mission department, assist in coordinating group immersion experiences for some parish donors to cultivate relationships and deepen them over time. This will require travel and logistics management.
- Record all relevant contacts with donors in the fundraising database. Aim for precision and timely entry to support internal reporting and data integrity.
- Be a role model for integrity, fiscal responsibility, and ethical behavior in a way that embodies Catholic Extension values.
Catholic Extension seeks the type of fundraiser who likes working with groups, enjoys being out with people, and will roll up their sleeves to get the job done. We believe the successful candidate will likely offer 2-5 years’ work experience and come in understanding the uniqueness of the job and feeling excited about the potential of the program.
Professional and personal attributes of sought-after candidates include:
- Exposure to working with donors
- Exposure to working in teams in a business setting
- Relational and appreciative of donors at all giving levels
- Ability to travel domestically 40% of the time
- Solid energy and drive
- Strong communication skills including written and verbal
- Excellent organizational competencies
- Customer service oriented
- Curious and creative
- Detailed and action-oriented
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Development and donor data base experience
- Strong familiarity with the mission and teachings of the Catholic Church, as well as Church dynamics
- Preferred candidates will be experienced in or able to adapt to the Catholic fundraising market although previous faith based fundraising experience is not required
Use the apply button on this website or send your resume and cover letter to CE2022.email@example.com. Further inquiries or questions? Please call our recruiting partner Margie DeVine on her cell at 773-892-2993.