A national fundraising organization building faith, inspiring hope and igniting change
Founded in 1905, Catholic Extension is the leading supporter of Catholic missions in the United States. Catholic Extension serves the pastoral mission of the Church by ensuring that the essential ministries of under-resourced and isolated U.S. dioceses remain intact by helping these dioceses build their capacity for the future. This is achieved by operating as both a fundraising and grant making organization that carries its work out strategically, with a high touch and in a spirit of optimism and innovation.
Over the last 116 years, Catholic Extension has distributed more than $1.3 billion to build strong communities of faith, so that Catholics in these areas have the tools to inspire hope and ignite change. Activities and programs supported include: southern border initiatives, post-hurricane rebuilding in Puerto Rico, support for college campus ministry and youth outreach, construction and renovation of churches and facilities, and funding for the education of lay and ordained leaders.
To support this mission work, the organization raises $20 – 25 million from 30,000 donors via a mature development program that includes annual, major, and planned giving.
Catholic Extension has a full-time staff of 50 employees based at its headquarters in Chicago or in one of its regional offices. Its staff is comprised of talented and experienced professionals working in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment and team-focused culture.
Coordinator of Development, Mid-level Giving
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President, the Coordinator of Development, Mid-level Giving will be responsible for attracting mid-level gifts ($1,000 – $5,000 annually). Donors at this level are recognized as members of Catholic Extension’s Two by Two program and are a high priority, as they broaden our base of donor support and create a pipeline for future major donor giving.
The Coordinator of Development, Mid-level Giving will be based in Chicago, which is the national headquarters for Catholic Extension. He/she will focus on mid-level donors in the Midwest Region of the United States.
In directing and executing Catholic Extension’s mid-level giving strategy, the Coordinator of Development will reach out to existing Catholic Extension donors currently making annual gifts of $100+ for the purpose of upgrading these donors to $1,000 or more annually by implementing a proven mid-level giving methodology that includes:
- Appointment Setting. Scheduling appointments with prospects through telephone and e- mail outreach based upon pre-arranged trips to major metropolitan areas.
- Case Presentation. Explaining Catholic Extension’s case for support (reasons to give) in a concise and compelling manner to raise donor awareness and enthusiasm.
- Gift Solicitation and Follow-Up. Presenting giving options; showing the ability to overcome objections and pursue gift commitments after the appointment.
- Showing thoughtful appreciation of donor support through letters, e-mail, phone calls and follow-up visits. Explaining how past support has advanced Catholic Extension’s mission and helped donors achieve their giving objectives.
The Coordinator of Development will demonstrate leadership by:
- adhering to the program’s performance metrics,
- proposing enhancements to the Two by Two program, and
- actively participating in the refinement and execution of the mid-level giving marketing and stewardship strategies.
Additionally, the Coordinator will add significant value when they:
- Contribute to maintaining the integrity of the national donor database
- Input all donor portfolio activity and communications in the database on a timely basis to ensure data is accurate and current
- Partner with the Director of Events & Special Projects on coordinating donor cultivation events, which includes determining invitation lists, mailing invites, pre-event briefing for staff and post-event follow up
- Partner with the Strategic Communications department to prepare accurate proposals, communications, and stewardship reports within established guidelines.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of Catholic Extension’s regional and national initiatives to articulate to donors the organization’s mission and priority programmatic objectives.
- Be a role model for integrity, fiscal responsibility, ethical behavior, and managerial excellence that supports the mission of Catholic Extension.
Catholic Extension seeks a professional with a minimum of two years’ professional experience, preferably with at least one in development. The Development Coordinator, Mid-level Giving should bring a contagious level of excitement about the mission of Catholic Extension, as this is an externally-oriented position in which the coordinator will be communicating with donors and potential donors helping to foster strong relationships over time. We view this position as an entry into the major gifts professional track, if so desired.
Professional and personal attributes of sought-after candidates include:
- Superior written and verbal communication skills and the ability to represent Catholic Extension in a positive and professional manner during interaction with our donor constituents.
- Computer literacy, including strong understanding of Microsoft applications, as well as other database and web-based fundraising tools.
- Ability to work well independently while maintaining strong communication with the team.
- Energetic self-starter with strong organizational skills.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to the organization’s mission.
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
- An appreciation for and general understanding of the teachings and traditions of the Roman Catholic Church.
- A passion for your field and a sense of humor.
Extensive travel will be required as the Coordinator of Development will meet personally with at least 20-25 or more donor prospects per month.