A national fundraising organization building faith, inspiring hope and igniting change
Founded in 1905, Catholic Extension is the leading supporter of Catholic missions in the United States. Catholic Extension serves the pastoral mission of the Church by ensuring that the essential ministries of under-resourced and isolated U.S. dioceses remain intact by helping these dioceses build their capacity for the future. This is achieved by operating as both a fundraising and grant making organization that carries its work out strategically, with a high touch and in a spirit of optimism and innovation.
Over the last 114 years, Catholic Extension has distributed more than $1.3 billion to build strong communities of faith, so that Catholics in these areas have the tools to inspire hope and ignite change. Activities and programs supported include: southern border initiatives, post-hurricane rebuilding in Puerto Rico, support for college campus ministry and youth outreach, construction and renovation of churches and facilities, and funding for the education of lay and ordained leaders.
To support this mission work, the organization raises $20 – 25 million from 30,000 donors via a mature development program that includes annual, major and planned giving. Additionally, Catholic Extension is in the quiet phase of a $75 million philanthropic campaign focused on maximizing individual and foundation major gifts for ongoing and special initiatives.
Catholic Extension has a full-time staff of 50 employees based at its headquarters in Chicago or in one of its regional offices. Its staff is comprised of talented and experienced professionals working in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment and team-focused culture.
Manager of Development, Parish Partnerships
The Parish Partnership Program is a highly successful program that reaches out to parishes across the country to become involved in Catholic Extension’s mission work. The manager of the program will join an existing team to bring additional talent and capacity to serve this rapidly evolving market. The manager will report to the Vice President for Development.
The manager’s role is to identify, cultivate, secure and steward key contacts at parishes and organizations to support group giving projects at a major gift level ($10,000+) benefiting a Catholic Extension mission. He/she will interact with parish/organization/school partners to understand their interest areas and identify, coordinate and participate in mission immersion experiences for key parish/organization/school members as part of the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategy.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Cultivate relationships with parish leaders to encourage year-round parish fundraising and serve as the liaison to parishes engaged in projects for the Catholic Extension Mission department;
- In collaboration with the Mission department, coordinate group immersion experiences for a few key representatives from each donor group to identify the project or projects to present to the parish as their giving project;
- Over time, systemize how projects are presented and selected to support increasing numbers of parish partners;
- Be the one to solicit or facilitate solicitation by a senior member of the Catholic Extension team;
- Develop collateral materials with input from Catholic Extension’s marketing and content experts to ensure that parishes and organizations have the tools they need to successfully raise funds;
- If individual donors are identified as having high-capacity giving potential and they have expressed interest or inclination, provide for a seamless introduction to a Director of Development, Major Gifts;
- Record all relevant donor contact and activity in the fundraising database in a precise and timely manner to support internal reporting and data integrity;
- Serve as a valued member of the team, working cooperatively with others;
- Be a role model for integrity, fiscal responsibility, and ethical behavior in a way that embodies Catholic Extension values; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Catholic Extension seeks a professional with a minimum of five years’ professional experience, with at least three years in development. The Manager of Development should be proficient in philanthropic relationship management, in communicating with external audiences and in donor relations. We view this position as an entry into the major gifts professional track, if so desired.
Professional and personal attributes of sought-after candidates include:
- Solid energy and drive
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills including written and verbal
- Excellent organizational competencies
- Customer service oriented
- Curious, creative, and resourceful
- Detailed and action-oriented
- Ability to travel domestically 25% of the time
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Development and donor data base experience
- Strong familiarity with the mission and teachings of the Catholic Church, as well as Church dynamics
- Preferred candidates will be experienced in or able to adapt to the Catholic fundraising market although previous faith based fundraising experience is not required