Founded in 1905, Catholic Extension is the leading supporter of Catholic missions in the United States. Catholic Extension serves the pastoral mission of the Church by ensuring that the essential ministries of under-resourced and isolated U.S. dioceses remain intact by helping these dioceses build their capacity for the future.
Over the years, Catholic Extension has distributed more than $500 million to build strong communities of faith, so that Catholics in these areas have the tools to inspire hope and ignite change. Activities and programs supported include: southern border initiatives, hurricane relief, support for college campus ministry and youth outreach, construction and renovation of churches and facilities, and funding for the education of lay and ordained leaders.
Catholic Extension has a full-time staff of 50 employees based at its headquarters in Chicago or in one of its regional offices located in Boston, Minneapolis, Monterey, Naples, Florida, Nashville, New York City, and San Diego. Its staff is comprised of talented and experienced professionals working in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment and team-focused culture.
We are investing in diversification of channels and seeking an energetic, self-starter to take our digital solicitation efforts to a new level and push boundaries.
Reporting to the vice president of communications and external relations, the digital communications role will join a 5-person strategic communications team and will be responsible for expanding and enriching Catholic Extension’s digital fundraising results through digital channels, to include e-appeals, online advertising, and online peer to peer campaigns.
It is an exciting time to be at Catholic Extension and digital giving is positioned to play a key role in the success of the organization’s ongoing fundraising efforts.
As part of a two-person digital communications team, this role will:
- Collaborate with the fundraising team to manage and implement online campaigns for annual fundraising, donor cultivation and new donor acquisition.
- Serve as the primary liaison with the direct marketing agency’s digital production team to create, design and implement campaigns (digital advertisements, SEO, re-direct marketing, social media fundraising efforts and crowdfunding). Ensure deadlines are met and quality control standards are implemented consistently.
- Coordinate online annual giving campaigns and content with overall digital marketing goals, content streams and social media.
- Participate in the design, build and implementation of email campaigns, including emails, donation pages, confirmation pages, audience targeting, report back emails and website integration.
- Contribute to creating and implementing strategy briefs for online campaigns.
- Manage the creative process for online campaigns, including the content collection process, fact-checking and routing art and copy through approval.
- Monitor email transmission, delivery and response; provide summary reporting and critical analysis for each campaign and for overall program effectiveness.
- Create, maintain and monitor online donation pages.
- Develop, manage and implement digital advertising (fundraising) initiatives.
- Develop and implement online welcome series to engage and convert online supporters.
- Write, review and edit copy to communicate Catholic Extension values and mission to engage and motivate donor participation.
- Participate in peer groups and utilize external resources related to annual giving and donor services to understand best practices and stay current with innovative techniques.
- Contribute to the overall health and productivity of the unit and department; help meet the goals of the unit and department.
- Operate within department budget guidelines.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of Catholic Extension’s regional and national initiatives to articulate to donors the organization’s mission and priority programmatic objectives.
- Be a role model for integrity, fiscal responsibility, ethical behavior and managerial excellence that supports the mission of Catholic Extension.
Catholic Extension seeks a marketing professional with minimum 2-4 years’ post-college experience working with digital marketing in a nonprofit or business environment. Bachelor’s degree is required.
Professional and personal attributes of sought-after candidates include:
- Exceptional listening skills with proven experience building and sustaining quality relationships. An ability to engage with a variety of constituencies with varying interests and perspectives is important.
- Proven experience in using HTML, content management systems (e.g. Drupal), email systems (e.g. Engaging Networks), CRM solutions and integration (e.g. Donor Management System, Virtuous), Adobe Photoshop, social media platforms, responsive design/implementation and mobile technologies.
- Understanding of A/B testing, analytics tools and the ability to turn metrics into actionable insights.
- Have experience with donor or customer direct response, preferably in the nonprofit sector. Possess skills in implementing new strategies and procedures in a collaborative environment; excellent critical thinking, project management and strong donor-friendly approach.
- Ability to excel in a highly collaborative, team-based environment with both internal and external partners. Patience and maturity in dealing with donors, staff and their requests.
- Be an energetic, self-starting thinker with strong organizational skills.
- Have excellent design, proofing, writing and editing skills, including the ability to provide effective feedback to graphic designers on user interface, layout and design.
- An appreciation for and general understanding of the teachings and traditions of the Roman Catholic Church.
- A passion for your field and a sense of humor.